Mouthwash: Things to know before use
If you know how to choose and use mouthwash, you not only have a cool breath but can also prevent tooth decay in advance. So what do you know about this oral care product?
1. What is mouthwash?
Mouthwash is a dental care product that helps you prevent dental problems and make your breath smell good. There are many types and brands of mouthwash. Each mouthwash may have a slightly different ingredient, but most will contain key ingredients, such as:
- Alcohol or other antibacterial substances: Helps kill bacteria, germs that cause tooth decay and bad breath.
- Cleaning agents: Helps dislodge and remove food debris and plaque.
- Flavoring and coloring substances: Make mouthwash more pleasant in color and taste.
- Preservative: Helps prevent the growth of bacteria in mouthwash.
- Water: Helps dissolve other ingredients in mouthwash.
Some mouthwashes can also contain fluoride to help prevent the acid attack, thereby preventing tooth decay. Saliva is also considered as a natural mouthwash that helps wash away bacteria causing bad breath and gingivitis.
2. Benefits of mouthwash
You will have many benefits if you add mouthwash to the daily routine of dental care. Some of the possible benefits include:
- Freshen your breath: Mouthwash can help you feel like your mouth is cleaner and smells better. From there, you can be more confident in daily communication situations.
- Prevent tooth decay and gum disease: The fluoride in mouthwash will help prevent tooth decay and gum disease. When using these mouthwashes, you should not dilute it with water, which will prevent fluoride from protecting teeth.
- Reduce bacteria in the mouth: Mouthwash can reduce the amount of plaque and bacteria in the mouth.
3. How to choose a mouthwash
Although there are many types of mouthwash with eye-catching flavor and color, this is not the first criteria. You need to read the composition of mouthwash to choose the type that suits your oral condition.
- How to choose a mouthwash when your mouth is dry: If you are trying to remedy your dry mouth, choose a non-alcoholic mouthwash. Alcohol-based mouthwash will make the mouth less saliva and become drier.
- How to choose a mouthwash when you have cavities: Choose fluoride mouthwash. However, when used, be careful not to swallow the mouthwash as consuming too much fluoride can be harmful to the body.
- How to choose a mouthwash when you have gum disease: If you have gum problems, choose a mouthwash with chlorhexidine. However, before choosing any type of mouthwash, you should consult your doctor first for more safety.
If you are looking for a more natural mouthwash when there is a wound in your mouth, use salt water. Salt is a natural antiseptic and also helps to reduce the swelling of the tissues in the mouth. Doctors also recommend that you gargle salt water for 2-3 weeks after dental surgery or when you are having infections or mouth ulcers.
However, you should not use salt water to gargle too long because salt water can corrode and soften tooth enamel. This will make your teeth more susceptible to chipping and decay.
4. How to use mouthwash
Usually, you will use mouthwash at the end of your dental care in the following way:
- After brushing and flossing: Pour a moderate amount of mouthwash into a glass. Read the directions on the mouthwash label to know the recommended amount.
- Use mouthwash in about 30 to 60 seconds: Pay attention to rinse the whole cavity: under the tongue, two sides of the jaw, behind the gums, etc.
- After 30 - 60 seconds: Spit out the mouthwash.
If you want fresh breath after eating or before important meetings, you can bring a bottle of mouthwash with you in your pocket. When you need to rinse your mouth, follow the steps above and no brushing or flossing needed.
Although mouthwash can help remove bacteria and plaque in the mouth but can not replace toothpaste and floss. You still need to maintain the habit of brushing your teeth twice a day and floss for the best oral health.
In addition, you should also abandon unhealthy habits such as eating a lot of sugar or smoking. Moreover, you should have regular dental checkups to promptly detect dental diseases.
Mouthwash helps you clean plaque, eliminate bacteria and prevent dental diseases. Therefore, you should choose the right mouthwash that suits your dental condition as well as use this product properly for the best results.