Get to know about many types of dental crowns
These days, dental crowns have become more and more popular as the perfect solution to boost your confidence. There are many types of dental crowns that you can choose, ranging from common metals to gold and silver. Let’s read on with The East Rose Dental to learn more about different types of dental crowns to make the best decision!
1. Porcelain-fused-to-metal crowns
This type of crowns has a metal inner structure and a porcelain cover. Usually, the inner structure is made of Cr-Co alloy, Cr-Ni alloy, or Titanium.
This is an affordable option. However, it comes with a huge disadvantage which is after a few years of using, the crowns will lose their original brightness.
In addition, the metal may oxidize. The extent and speed of oxidation depend on the type of metal and other factors. This causes the roots to have a metallic shine and the gumlines to look bruised, affecting the overall appearance.
As a result, porcelain-fused-to-metal crowns are not commonly indicated for the restoration of front teeth.
2. Precious metal crowns or golden crowns
Precious metal crowns or golden crowns:
- Are among the most durable types of crowns. They can last from several dozens of years to a lifetime.
- Don’t change color at the base so don’t affect the natural pinkish color of the gums.
- Have sturdy linings that don’t crack or break even if they’re extremely thin.
- Are highly accurate, thus, prevent cavities, chipped teeth, stuck food particles, bacterial buildups, etc.
- Have a naturally beautiful color thanks to the inner golden shine (compared to the normal dull shine of metals).
- Have high biocompatibility, are comfortable for your natural teeth and gums, non-toxic, don’t oxidize, don’t have a taste or odor.
- Minimize the loss of tooth tissue, resulting in stronger teeth.
- Have anti-inflammatory properties as gold is naturally antibacterial.
- Precious metal crowns and golden crowns don’t have the disadvantage of the aforementioned porcelain-fused-to-metal crowns. However, as they are made of precious materials and require more advanced technique, they are more expensive.
In a nutshell, precious metal crowns have the inner structure made of precious metals such as gold or platinum.
3. Pure Zirconia crowns (Cercon, E.Max Zir CAD)
This type of crowns has an inner structure made of Zirconia. They are finished with layers of porcelain. The Zirconia structure offers not only a pleasant appearance but also stability, durability, and accuracy.
Characteristics of Zirconia crowns:
- The most beautiful and natural-looking crowns.
- Don’t oxidize, thus, there will not be discoloration at the roots after years of use.
- No discoloration.
- High biocompatibility, thus are comfortable with real teeth and gums. In addition, they don’t have an odor and don’t cause allergy.
- The Zirconia frame is sturdy and durable. It can withstand large forces and is hard to break.
- CAD/CAM technique offers the most accurate crowns, effectively preventing cavities and loose crowns.
4. E.max Empress crowns and veneers
E.max crowns have an inner structure made of porcelain forged at a temperature of over 1000oC. They are covered with various layers of porcelain, whose characteristics and demonstrated light-reflecting ability closely resemble those of real teeth. As a result, the color looks very lively and natural.
- Are manufactured by Ivoclar Vivadent, a Switzerland brand, Europe.
- Are usually indicated for veneers and incisor crowns, premolar crowns, molar crowns, and incisor bridges - premolars fewer than 3 units, inlays and Onlays. They are recommended for severely discolored teeth, Tetracycline stained teeth, gap teeth, front teeth which require cosmetic restoration.
- Longevity: At least 15 years.
- Advantages: Natural-looking color that closely resembles real teeth, no discoloration at the roots after years of use.
- Procedure length: 1 - 6 teeth may take around 3 days.
Hopefully, this article has offered you useful information about types of crowns so you can pick the one that can do your beautiful smile justice.